Sunday 1 June 2014

Cheddar beer bread.


I live in a little cul de sac surrounding a mini post office, and every Friday all the neighbours gather for a drinky-poo in the post office at 5pm. And little drinkies call for something to munch on! One of my neighbour's does the best onion bhajis which he brings often, and others make cakes, but I try to never do the same thing twice (unless asked!). So for this week, I've made a cheddar beer bread, with a honey butter. It's more of a sweet treat than a normal savoury bread; kind of like a brioche-sweet. Try it and let me know what you think! 



My mum had a slice before I managed to get a snap of the whole thing! 

Recipe adapted from Aldi


Ingredients:
390g plain flour
2 Tbsp. caster sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp. agave nectar
1 small bottle light beer 
50-75g grated cheddar (depending on how cheesy you want it - plus a bit more for sprinkling on top)
3 Tbsp. butter at room temperature

Instructions:
1. In a bowl, mix the dry ingredients together, excluding the cheese. Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C.
2. Add the beer. It may look a bit dry but keep mixing and it'll all come together, I promise!
3. Throw in the cheese and agave nectar. Stir until mixed but be careful not to over mix! It should just look like a sticky dough. Put it in a greased bread tin (or with parchment in like I did) and sprinkle some more cheese on top.
4. Whack it in the oven. Check it after 30 minutes, but it'll probably be closer to 40 minutes before it's done. After 30 minutes, glaze the top of the bread with the butter and pop it back in the oven.
5. To see whether it's cooked, stick in a long wooden skewer - if it comes out clean, it's cooked. Serve warm with my honey butter!


Honey butter:
120g butter
2 Tbsp. honey
salt (if using unsalted butter)

Put all the ingredients in a bowl and, with an electric whisk, whip it up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment